Module Two: Clean Language Foundation – ”Exploring Metaphors with Clean Language”
Training dates Summer 2019:
Tues 11th June, 25th June, 9th July and 23rd July 2019
Class Times: Choice of:
- 11:00am – 12.30pm UK time (10:00 GMT) or:
- 6:00pm – 7.30pm UK time (17:00 GMT)
Please check your local time against UTC/GMT – From 25th March we will be in Daylight Saving Hours so GMT +1.
Please note if you can’t make a session you can easily catch up by listening remotely to the class recording afterwards.Please register for our newsletter to receive future course dates.
The Clean Coaching Centre offer an online training programme covering Clean Language techniques as developed by David Grove. Please read on for full details and confirm asap (by email or via or contact form opposite) if you would like a space reserved for you. Places limited to a maximum of 8 people due to the level of participation/personal feedback on the programme.
You can participate in these classes through your computer (if you have reliable broadband and a headset) and/or through a normal telephone landline (normal local call charges will apply). Computer access will enable you to immerse yourself in the classes more completely through the accompanying visual aids available in this way..
When you register. you will receive full access details explaining how to connect by computer plus you will be given an ordinary landline telephone number and access code to use, if required.
What is ‘Clean Language’?
Scroll down to the end of this webpage for more information about what these techniques are and how they can help you become a better coach. You can also visit our free resources pages for articles and audio recordings.
Clean Language for Coaches – Full details
The complete Clean Coaching online training programme was conceived by David Grove in conjunction with Carol Wilson. The training is aimed at coaches who want to learn new ways to facilitate clients in a non-directive and creative way. Angela Dunbar has been involved since the courses’s early stages of development and was responsible for adding the moduels that focus on Clean Language . She is now lead trainer on the entire programme and is a Certified Clean Language Facilitator, immersed in all things “Clean” since 2001 and has had extensive training with David Grove, Penny Tompkins and James Lawley and others.
Module Two Clean Language Foundation:
“Exploring Metaphors using Clean Language”
You will learn how to ask Clean Language questions in a structured but flexible process suitable for coaching. This programme covers the full range of basic Clean Language questions created by New Zealand psychotherapist David Grove. The course emphasises the value of working with client’s self-generated metaphors as a creative approach.
This module forms part of an overall series of four modules, which together will build your knowledge, skills and confidence to use Clean Language, Clean Space and Emeregent Knowledge in a variety of different coaching-related frameworks and uses, from exploring a particular feeling or state, to structuring a whole coaching session.
This module is suitable for experienced coaches interested in learning Clean Language to incorporate into their own coaching frameworks. This module can be taken as a standalone course without completing all our training modules. Some coaches may wish to start their learning with us learning at Module Two and return to Module One at a later stage if they decide to continue learning Clean Coaching and apply for accreditation.
Duration: Online / Teleclasses 6.5 hours total plus a minimum of 6 hours supervised self-directed learning, including practice & audio recordings
What you will gain:
An understanding of how to enter a client’s inner world through metaphors and help them explore issues and reach solutions from a deeper source of knowledge
What this course will cover:
- How metaphors reveal the structure of our thinking
- Increasing your awareness of metaphoric language
- What is ‘clean’ and how it can impact on a client’s ability to change
- Demonstrations of Clean Language in a coaching context
- Using Clean Language questions to focus attention
- Using Clean Language to turn a feeling or mental state into a metaphor
- Delivering the questions with full syntax
- The importance of vocal tone and pacing
- Using Clean Language questions to expand attention
- Structuring the questions into a process for coaching
- The practice sessions:
These will take place at a time agreed by each participant, and over a suitable virtual meeting space. You will be given the option to record your practice to receive detailed, supportive feedback from your course tutor.
- A Clean Language transcript to review
- Personal action plans
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Explore coachees’ issues using metaphor
- Understand the power of metaphor and the language required to use it effectively
- Understand the principles of “Clean” & apply to any non-directive form of coaching
- Identify solution focused metaphors as opposed to metaphors of the problem
- Learn 13 Clean Language questions which least influence the coachee
- Be able to use Clean Language to define outcomes, barriers and resources
- Help the coachee make transformational changes
How your learning is supported:
- Initial class of two hour’s duration.
- Three further classes at one and a half hours duration each
- With option to connect via online webinar or standard telephone
- Audio recordings of all classes
- Audio recordings of exercise demonstrations
- Written transcripts of exercise demonstrations
- Comprehensive reading material including a 21 page workshop manual
- Written assignments
- Supervised, recorded practice sessions with a partner followed by:
- Personalized, detailed one-to-one feedback from your programme director
- A total of 12.5 hours supervised learning activity plus further optional activity
Places are limited – reserve your space now by emailing
Module Two cost:
- £198.00 for sole traders / private individuals
- £287.00 including one-to-one session
- £396.00 corporate rate
SPECIAL OFFER: Take 10% discount if you book and pay within one month of the course start date:
- £178.20 for sole traders / private individuals
- £258.30 including one-to-one session
- £356.40 corporate rate
How to Book: Email Angeladunbar@cleancoaching.com
Or download the booking form at the bottom of this page.
What people have said about our Clean Language online training programme:
“Angela is an excellent tutor using her relaxed inclusive style to make everyone feel at ease and seamlessly adapting to the classes requirements. Conferences calls, feedback and course notes are fine examples of good practice! The course was superb. I have already started to use Clean Language within coaching sessions and I’m very much looking forward to undertaking the next course of Clean Language in the near future.” Lynn Cox, IAAR
“The mixture of learning from theory, demonstration, practice and detailed personal feedback was very effective. I was able to move quickly from being a clumsy beginner to feeling more confident to use and explore my new skills.”
Dr Nanas Callander, The Lynton Partnership
“Angela offers a highly skilled hand in guiding delegates through the material and she naturally builds confidence in others to not only explore new concepts but to consider new horizons” Maureen Atkins, Coach, Berkshire
“I learnt a lot – I had come across Clean Language before but only touched on it superficially and as Angela pointed out so well, there is a helluva lot more to it than just “sticking with the client`s language”… I can see that trying to get into the client`s metaphorical language will be a real help to exploring some deeper issues and making connections, Thanks again” Alison Dale, Government Office for London
“The pace is great – stretching but manageable, both the content and the timings spaced just right for me as a busy working mum! You create a lovely supportive learning environment, and the humour is great too. Notes are helpful – have filed them as I go, which helps to keep track.” Rachael Ross, Rachael Ross Coaching, UK
“Clean Language training should be part of any coach training programme, it adds richness to the coaching process and the result for the client. Clean Language helps you build a deeper rapport with your client. Angela’s training style is calm, clear and extremely professional, and combined with her passion and indepth knowledge of the subject creates a highly effective training programme. If you want to take your coaching to the next level, this course is essential. Helen Isacke, Crown Coaching Ltd