The Coaches Book Club
The Coaches Book Club was formed in 2019 and is now in its fourth year. It is free to attend and open to all coaches who would like to connect online with like-minded people to explore and discuss coach-related books.
The group’s purpose is:
- To provide focus on reading and learning from coach-related reading material
- A source of structured CPD
- Connect and network with other coaches
We have discussed a wide range of popular and lesser known books about (or loosely related to) coaching, for example in recent years:
- Connected – Nicholas A Christakis & James H Fowler
- Behave – Robert Sapolsky
- Hope in a Corner of My Heart – Gina Campbell
- Thinking Fast & Slow – Daniel Kahneman
- Oneness With All Life: Find your inner peace – Eckhart Tolle
- The Listening Coach – Jane Adshead-Grant
- The Promise That Changes Everything: I Won’t Interrupt You – Nancy Kline
- The Transformational Coach: Free Your Thinking and Break Through to Coaching Mastery – Clare Norman
We meet on the third Wednesday of every month, alternating between lunchtime and early evening sessions.
Remaining dates for 2023 (all UK times):
- Sep 20, 2023 12:30 PM – open discussion – zoom link
- Oct 18, 2023 06:30 PM – “Trust Yourself First: Cultivating Self-Awareness, Confidence & Resilience” – Doris Sew (the author will join us for Q&A)
- Nov 15, 2023 12:30 PM – “Struggle: the surprising truth, beauty & opportunity hidden in life’s sh*ttier moments” – Grace Marshall (the author will join us for Q&A)
- Dec 20, 2023 06:30 PM – open discussion
Dates for 2024
- Wednesday 17th January 12.30pm – “Clean Coaching: The Insider Guide to Making Change Happen” Angela Dunbar (the author) will join us for Q&A
- Rest of dates for 2024 TBA
Some of the questions we use to discuss the books:
• Did you read the book? Why? Why not?
• How did you read this book?
• How did it make you feel?
• What does it offer that I can apply in my work?
• What questions does this book evoke in you?
• What sentence or paragraph are you drawn to and why?
• What’s new or different about this book?
• What did you disagree with?
• Who is the author?
• What do they have to offer me?
• Why should I read it?
• Where has this author come from (which background / school of thinking) ?
• What body of evidence is it based on? How wide? How specific?
• Can I believe in the message of this book?
• How does this fit with other approaches I use?
• What do other people say about this book?
We also have a Facebook page for our group which you are welcome to join and can access through this link
We invite you all to pass on the word about the Online Coaches Book Club so we can grow this group and ensure a good turn-out for every meet up. Thank you!
What people are saying:
Isabela shared a quote by Karl Lagerfeld which she felt was very relevant to the group:
“For every book you buy, you should buy the time to read it.” Karl Lagerfeld
“Book club was really good – its a great initiative so thank you for that. It is nice to be able to have someone like yourself as the driving force of this!”
“Great first meeting of the new book club group for coaches. I enjoyed meeting other members and discussing our favourite reads and would recommend joining.”
The plan is that this group will become self-organising and self-sustaining. So active participants will be expected to suggest / recommend books for the group and occasionally host the sessions.
To be part of the group and receive regular invitations, reminders and email follow ups, please register here: http://eepurl.com/gdxVu1
If you have any questions, please put ‘Book Club’ in your email header and send your question via firstname.lastname@example.org thank you