Clean Coaching Module Four: Clean Language Advanced
Well done for reaching Module Four!
This Module is entitled “Connecting and Expanding with Confidence”
Here is a link to a ‘refresher’ class on the Clean Language Foundation course to consolidate your learning and remind you of the key points about Clean Language to remember. Click here to download an audio-visual recording.
Clean Language taster class
You can also listen to a ‘taster’ class (for complete beginners) just press ‘play’ (over to the right) to listen.
Clean Language Module One Refresher
During the first few classes of this module, we will cover modelling, systems thinking and parts.
For your first exercise, please listen to the recorded demonstration in which two previous Clean Language training participants are practicing together. This session shows a clear structure, with the following steps:
1) Getting an Outcome in metaphor:
“What would you like to have happen?”
(This question is used twice at the beginning and once towards the end when a problem “feeling scared” is identified)
2) Focusing attention on the parts of the metaphor:
“What kind of …. is that ….?”
“Is there anything else about ….?”
3) Developing a resource into a metaphor:
“That’s a knowingness like what?”
4) Expanding attention by exploring relationships between the different parts of the metaphor uncovered:
“Is there a relationship between the capsule and the Harry Potter light?”
5) Expanding attention by exploring the source of a resource:
“Where could that Harry Potter light have come from?”
6) Moving into actions and checking they are possible:
“What needs to happen for…?”
There are some great questions in the session and the coachee gained a lot from it.
As you listen to the session, see how well you can model what the coachee is saying. Pay attention to the symbols developed and treat each as a ‘part’ of an emerging whole metaphoric ‘landscape’.
- How clear is your understanding of the whole metaphor as a system?
- Could you draw your own mental representation of it?
- What information is missing?
- What other questions could have been asked and when to fill in any gaps?
You can access a transcript of the session here, although it’s recommended that you attempt to build your own model / draw your picture first, before reading the transcript.
Send your answers by email (including your drawing) copied to the whole group.
Modelling – A Very Strong Gut Feeling
Modelling a smoking habit
Click on the link to hear a demo session exploring a habit that the coachee may want to change.
CL Demo - modelling a habit
Demonstration – Modelling “Using Clean Language”
There are two sessions recorded here, each with the same coachee exploring their use of Clean Language – through Clean Language.
The first session’s recording is a little fuzzy in places but you can clearly hear the coachee. These sessions provide examples of:
- Great modelling, using the basic Clean Language questions extensively, and occassional use of expanding attention and ‘specialist questions’ such as “How do you know?” and “What would (part) like to have happen?”
- Useful explorations of a system – in metaphor
- In the second session, an example of a parts exploration, with the ‘head’ and ‘heart’ becoming parts in a system that initially want different things
- You can download an MP3 recording of this session directly to your computer by clicking on this link.
Modelling Demo One
Modelling Demo Two
Please listen to the following demonstration as conducted by two previous course attendees. As you listen, notice what was said that could relate to a scale of some sort. What questions might you have asked to explore that scale?
To support you in your learning, please listen to the following demonstration which explores how a ‘system of thoughts’ might create a bind, where the person is stuck within their own patterns of thinking and behaviour.
It is a complex subject and not easy to pick apart what parts there are and how they might work (or not work) together.
Ultimately, a new understanding begins to emerge when our coachee sees all the parts of his ‘habit’ as one complete symbol of a car.
When you listen to this recording, please pay attention to what you do with the client information, ie how you ‘model’ it for yourself?
It may be even more powerful to pause the recording after each answer and consider what question you would ask next and why?
CL Mod 2 part One - Demo session
Another Session on Binds and Blind Spots
To continue your learning you may listen to the second session carried out with the same coachee. You can listen now by clicking the ‘play’ button on the panel to the right.
Or if you prefer, you can download the entire MP3 file and listen whever you want. Click here to download.
What do you notice? How would you summarise what the appears to be the bind here? What do you notice about where Angela chose to focus attention at each step and why?
And where might you have chosen to focus attention? What questions would you like to have asked?…
Please email Angela your feedback before the final class.